DAY TRIP TO HYDE PARK
Join the Friends on Friday, October 14th, 2022 as we travel to beautiful Hyde Park, NY to spend a day with the Roosevelts. We will leave from the Schenectady Home Depot parking lot at 8AM and make our first stop at Val-Kill, the Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic site.
The cost of the trip is $65 for members of the Friends of the SCPL, $75 for non-members
The Roosevelts frequently used Val-Kill’s relaxed setting for entertaining family, friends, political associates, and world leaders. After the death of President Roosevelt in 1945, Val-Kill became Eleanor Roosevelt’s primary residence and the place most associated with her. We will tour the home and have time to visit the Visitors Center and gardens.
Following our visit to Val-Kill we will make the short drive to the FDR compound. Here we will enjoy a box lunch* at Uncle Sam’s Canteen. The cafe offers some inside seating and there is also an outdoor patio and a pavilion with picnic tables available for us to enjoy our lunch.
At 12:30 we have an appointment to visit the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Library and Museum. Here you will have the opportunity to learn more about FDR’s life, presidency and the times in which he lived. You will be free to tour the museum at your own pace, walk the grounds, visit the Roosevelt graves and check out the Visitors Center where a film is available as well as restrooms and a gift shop.
At 3 PM we will meet at the FDR home, Springwood, a National Historic Site, for a guided tour of the home that was called the “Summer White House”. Following the tour we will depart for home arriving at approximately 5:30.
- The cost of the trip is $65 for members of the Friends of the SCPL, $75 for non-members.
- Price includes transportation, admissions, box lunch and driver gratuity.
- Join now and save! You may send a NEW membership contribution with the trip registration. The form is at the bottom of the trip registration sheet. You will then receive information about future trips and other Friends of the SCPL programs.
- PLEASE DO NOT SEND MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS WITH TRIP REGISTRATIONS.
- Make checks payable to Friends of the SCPL. We are unable to take phone or email reservations or take credit cards.
- Be sure to send registration and checks to FRIENDS of the SCPL TRIPS, 99 Clinton Street, Schenectady NY 12305 (be sure to indicate TRIPS on the envelope so your registration gets to us).
- Fill out a separate registration form for each person.
- The bus leaves promptly at 8:00AM from the Schenectady Home Depot off Watt St. Park in the area furthest from the Home Depot building. We will return at approximately 5:30 PM.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds or find someone to take your place. If you are unable to take the trip, you may substitute a friend. Please let us know.
- *BOX LUNCH SANDWICH CHOICES:
- Roast turkey with cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato on ciabatta with mayonnaise and mustard on the side
- Roast Beef with cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato on ciabatta with mayonnaise and mustard on the side
- Caprese with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, red onion and pesto on focaccia
All sandwiches come with potato chips, local apple, fresh baked chocolate chip cookie and soft drink or bottled water.