What can I donate?
The Friends accepts donations of books, DVDs, and audiobooks on CD that are in new, good, or slightly used condition. Please consider: would you buy the book you’re donating?
Donations must be in SALEABLE condition — your donations are used to stock our stores, community outreach programs, online sales initiatives, and book sales. Please recycle or trash books that are not suitable for resale.
Materials are sorted by Friends of the Library volunteers for sale at the Whitney Book Corner, A Second Look bookstore, and at library book sales. Profits help support collection development, library programming, and staff development.
Where can I donate books?
Please bring donations to the loading dock at the Central Library between 9 am – 12 pm, Monday-Saturday. Please limit your donations to no more than 5 boxes per day. Branches and bookstores cannot accept donations.
Is there anything you don’t accept?
We DO NOT accept:
- Books that have water damage, smell musty, are dirty, moldy/mildewed, or have an accumulation of dust or cobwebs
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Textbooks older than five years
- Computer books older than three years
- Computer software or software manuals older than three years
- VHS or audio cassette tapes
- Audio CDs
Please be conscientious and dispose of materials properly if they are not suitable for resale.
Do you buy books?
No. The Friends accepts books for donation only; we do not buy or consign books.
To make a monetary donation in memory of, or in honor of, an individual, or a general donation toward library programming, please mail a check payable to Friends of SCPL:
Treasurer, Friends of the Library
99 Clinton St
Schenectady, NY 12305
- Name and address of donor
- Designation of donation, e.g., in memory of (name), in honor of (name), general programming
- If you would like an acknowledgement sent to the family, please provide contact information