The Mission of the Friends of the Schenectady County Public Library is to assist and support our library system in fulfilling its role as an essential institution dedicated to meeting the literacy, technology, and cultural needs of all members of our community.
The Vision of the Friends of the Schenectady County Public Library is a modern, sustainable library system accessible to all.
The Purpose of the SCPL Friends of the Library is:
- to maintain a voluntary non‑profit association of persons interested in books and a vital, modern library system
- to develop an informed interest in library services, facilities and needs of the Schenectady County Public Library
- to promote the widest use of library services at all age and interest levels
- to initiate new and experimental services and to provide support for special projects not possible to finance from county funds
- to support all extensions of library services
- to contribute to the cultural opportunities of Schenectady County by sponsoring book fairs, story hours, exhibits, forums, book talks, and other enriching programs
- to encourage professional education for the library staff
- to stimulate, receive and administer gifts, memorials, endowments, and bequests of funds and of books, and desirable collections
- to be an affiliate of the national Friends of the Library organizations
Some of the activities and programs the Friends support through their volunteer activities and continuous fundraising efforts are:
- Library Collection Development: Book sales money is spent to purchase new and popular material for branch libraries
- Children’s Programs: Funding is provided for after school and vacation week programs, as well as for professional programs and performers for the Annual Summer Reading Club. The Friends also purchase reading incentives such as book bags, bookmarks, posters, puzzles and Summer Reading Club prizes
- Adult Programs: The Friends sponsor weekly Monday Noon Programs including Books Sandwiched-In, Table Talks, and the Science Series, and provide funding and volunteer hours for other adult programs, workshops and lectures
- Staff Support: Funds are provided for conferences, staff development and workshops, and purchasing of special equipment
- Computer literacy: Classes for beginners through more advanced computer users with computer literacy volunteers available for one on one followup
The Board meets at 6:30 p.m. in the Swanker Board Room at the central library on the 4th Tuesday of the following months: January, March, May, August and October. The annual dinner is held during Library Week in April.
CLICK HERE FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS ROSTER.
The Friends of the Schenectady County Public Library turned 50 in 2016! We hosted many special events during the year. To view photos from our Anniversary Gala click here.
2021 Annual Report(Presented at the 2022 Zoom Annual Meeting)
2020 Annual Report (Presented at the 2021 Zoom Annual Meeting)
2019 Annual Report (Distributed via email blast)
2018 Annual Report (Presented at the 2019 Annual Dinner)
2017 Annual Report (Presented at the 2018 Annual Dinner)
2016 Annual Report (Presented at the 2017 Annual Dinner)
Click here for the History of the Friends (Presented at 2016 Annual/50 Anniversary Dinner)
2014 Annual Report (Presented at 2015 Annual Dinner)
2013 Annual Report (Presented at 2014 Annual Dinner)
2012 Annual Report (Presented at 2013 Annual Dinner)
2011 Annual Report (Presented at 2012 Annual Dinner)
2010 Annual Report (Presented at 2011 Annual Dinner)