Share your love of books with like-minded people! The Friends operates two bookstores; sells online via Amazon and eBay; and holds two book sales each year at the Central Library. Many volunteer opportunities are available; membership is required:
- Stocking and selling books at the bookstores
- Book sale support — pre-sale setup, cashier, organizing
- Sorting incoming donations
- Transporting books from the Central Library to the bookstores
- Listing books and DVDs on eBay and Amazon and shipping purchases to buyers
- Adult program support
To become a volunteer:
- Please send an email with your area(s) of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and mail the membership form and check to the Friends Treasurer. Memberships may also be paid by cash or check at Whitney Book Corner.
The Friends currently have needs for incoming book donations, A Second Look, online sales support, and program chairpersons:
Move book donations from the loading dock at the Central Library to the sorting area on the library’s second floor and sort books into fiction and non-fiction categories. Moving and lifting is involved.
Record the Beat the Snow Concert Series performances and upload to YouTube. The Series runs for approximately 12 weeks, January through March, at 2:00 pm on Sundays at the Central Library. Training is available.
Online Sales Support
Saturday or Thursday shipper(s) 10 am to noon to fill Amazon and eBay orders. This job requires computer use, attention to detail, and the ability to convey packages to the post office across the street.
Noon Programs Chair
The chairperson’s primary responsibility is to coordinate weekly discussions, which range from book reviews to science and history talks. The committee of six volunteers schedules speakers for the discussions; the coordinator ensures each week is covered; sets up the meeting room; coordinates with library staff; and disseminates promotional information. Two people could co-chair the position.
A Second Look
The Friends is seeking to expand the hours at A Second Look. Volunteers are needed to work Tuesdays from 11 am to 3 pm (two shifts, 11 am to 1 pm and 1 pm to 3 pm). Volunteers open and close the store, stock and organize books as needed, handle cash, and complete both cash and credit card purchases using Square.